Everyday carry, or EDC, refers to the items that you carry with you on a daily basis. These can include your wallet, phone, keys, knife, flashlight, pen, notebook, and more. However, carrying too many items can be cumbersome, heavy, and cluttered. That’s why some people prefer a minimalist approach to their EDC, which means carrying only the essentials that they need and use regularly.
In this post, we will show you how to put together your own minimalist EDC kit, what benefits it can bring you, and what are some of the best minimalist EDC products on the market.
Benefits of Minimalist EDC
There are many reasons why you might want to adopt a minimalist EDC lifestyle. Here are some of the main benefits:
- Less weight and bulk: Carrying less items means less weight and bulk in your pockets or bag. This can make you more comfortable, agile, and mobile throughout the day. You can also avoid unnecessary strain on your back, shoulders, and neck from carrying heavy loads.
- More organization and efficiency: Having fewer items means less clutter and mess in your EDC system. You can easily find what you need without digging through piles of stuff. You can also avoid losing or forgetting important items that might get buried under other things.
- More focus and clarity: Carrying only the essentials means less distraction and noise in your life. You can focus on what matters most to you without being sidetracked by trivial or irrelevant things. You can also enjoy a more minimalist and aesthetic look for your EDC gear.
- More freedom and flexibility: Having a minimalist EDC gives you more freedom and flexibility to adapt to different situations and environments. You can travel lighter and faster without worrying about excess baggage or security checks. You can also switch between different modes of transportation or activities without hassle.
How to Put Together Your Minimalist EDC Kit
The first step to creating your minimalist EDC kit is to identify what items you actually need and use on a regular basis. This can vary depending on your personal preferences, lifestyle, occupation, hobbies, and location. However, there are some common items that most people would consider essential for their EDC. These include:
- Wallet: Your wallet holds your cash, cards, ID, and other important documents that you need for everyday transactions and identification. A minimalist wallet should be slim, durable, and functional. It should be able to hold all your essentials without adding too much bulk or weight to your pocket. Some examples of minimalist wallets are the Bellroy Notesleeve or the Pioneer Carry Molecule Cardholder.
- Phone: Your phone is your communication device, entertainment device, information device, navigation device, camera device, and more. It is probably the most versatile and useful item in your EDC kit. A minimalist phone should be sleek, powerful, and reliable. It should be able to perform all the tasks that you need without compromising on quality or performance. Some examples of minimalist phones are the iPhone 12 or the Samsung Galaxy S21.
- Keys: Your keys are your access device to your home, car, office, locker, or other places that you need to enter or secure. A minimalist key system should be compact, organized, and convenient. It should be able to hold all your keys without jingling or scratching other items in your pocket or bag. Some examples of minimalist key systems are the Orbitkey Leather Key Organizer or the KeySmart Pro.
- Knife: A knife is a tool that can be used for cutting, slicing, opening, prying, scraping, or self-defense. A minimalist knife should be small, sharp, and sturdy. It should be able to handle various tasks without being too bulky or heavy. Some examples of minimalist knives are the CRKT Squid or the Spyderco Dragonfly 2.
- Flashlight: A flashlight is a tool that can be used for illumination, signaling, or emergency situations. A
- minimalist flashlight should be bright, durable
Minimalist EDC is a way of simplifying your everyday carry by carrying only the items that you need and use regularly. It can bring you many benefits, such as less weight and bulk, more organization and efficiency, more focus and clarity, and more freedom and flexibility. To put together your minimalist EDC kit, you need to identify your essential items, such as your wallet, phone, keys, knife, and flashlight. You also need to choose minimalist products that are slim, durable, and functional. By doing so, you can enjoy a more minimalist and aesthetic lifestyle.